View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
if -30C is sufficient to meet the exposure criteria then -40C will offer no additional advantage
This relates to Clives original question in a way ie what real difference is there in going colder. Going significantly colder is good but only if the camera has lower native read noise in the first place - correct? If your camera has higher native read noise going colder won't help that much?

Quote:
my comment about darks taken in extremes of ambients expected was directed more to one operating temperature (say -25C) but at extremes of environmental ambient temperatures (like summer and winter ambients)

the change in ambient temperatures can make a few DN difference in the average bias level so that is where it might be a good idea to have a couple sets of darks. One for winter and one for summer temperatures
Hmm, this is new to me....so because my camera is low read noise in the first place and once I have determined the lowest all year achievable chip temperature it is then the ambient temperature at which the darks are taken (rather than the chip temperature) that needs to vary ie I should take a set of -30C darks when the ambient is say +20C (simulates a typical summer night) and another set of -30C darks when the ambient is say +5C (simulates a typical winter night)..?

Or am I out of my mind...?

Mike