View Single Post
Old 30-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Mariner (Frank)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc View Post
Thanks for the reply Frank--
The biggy is:
How do you feel the 12"LB holds collimation(as the 10" solid tube is bloody fantastic)--bit of a tweek before obs --and thats all thats needed for the rest of the night!
I have not used a truss style dob before,so will I need to factor this in?
Hi Eric,
Sorry so late in getting back to you - I am at sea and don't get to check the mail as much. Anyway, collimation is no problem. I carry it up and down the stairs by using the truss as a handle - no issues. I have had my scope dismantled and packed up in it's soft cases for weeks - and even months when I have been at sea/busy with kids etc. - and found it to be still quite good without any collimation. However, some fine tuning has sometimes been required, but not too much all things considered. In short - you won't have to collimate that often. If you have it in the back of a car and find yourself driving down a bumpy bush track for an hour to get to a great viewing site then maybe you may have to re-collimate.

I bought mine from Bintel - it came with Bobs Knobs at the time (a must - as you would probably already know being a Dob owner already). I also think that the only type sold now is the Deluxe which has the duel speed focuser as standard (amongst a few other things).

The only thing as a standard fitting that could improve it would maybe be the springs on the primary mirror - they could be a little stiffer for my liking. Again, like the view finder that I mentioned previously these are wants not needs. I notice that someone has mentioned an Argo Navis - I think that one of these would be a very nice luxury too - again a want not a need but nice none the less.

Good Luck Mate.
Regards, F.