View Single Post
Old 15-07-2009, 07:40 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Not sure if you've got your tripod yet or not, but just thought I'd offer my 2c worth.

They're like astro mounts. The sturdiness and load capacity of them is critical for stability and sharp images. You need to make sure both the tripod and the head can carry much more than just the weight of your current gear to allow for possible future lenses, flash/speedlights, flash brackets maybe and on it goes.

I know you only have a kit zoom lens at the moment, but down the track you may want a heavier lens like 70-200 f/2.8 or 100-400 etc. Their a couple of kgs each alone.

Rule of thumb might be to double or triple the weight of gear you plan to put on it right now.

The capacity of the head is also important. Keep in mind you may want to turn the camera on its side for a portrait orientation shot. Don't want the head to slip under that load.
Thanks, but I pulled the trigger afew days ago ..after considering the alternatives, finally went with the Manfrotto 190XproB from Vanbar-I will hopefully be getting the GST back...so its still dearer than the alternatives but its really solid and coming from a no tripod environment its a huge step forward

BTW Vanbar has a Sydney store as well