View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Matt

Here is what I have understood so far on my Canon journey:
  • Canon produces EOS camera bodies that have a full-frame sensor, that is, the sensor is the same size as a 35mm negative, around 36mm x 24mm.
  • They also make APS-C sized sensors, such as in the Canon 40D which is only 22.2mm x 14.8mm.
  • EF = the standard lens mount for the current range of all Canon lenses for EOS cameras, as opposed to the previous mount which was known as the FD. EF and FD lenses are not interchangeable.
  • L = Canon “Luxury” Lens. Usually use exotic, expensive glass, are weather proof, mainly made of metal rather than plastic, stand up to professional usage, etc. Here’s a link to Canon Japan for L lenses.
  • EF lenses will mount and work on all Canon EOS bodies, full frame and APS-C.
  • EF-S lenses were designed for APS-C size camera bodies only. I think that the back of the lens is designed to be closer to the sensor, so effectively, the back of the lens pokes into the camera body further, making them incompatible with full frame sensor bodies.
  • IS = Image Stabilisation, where a moving element in the IS lens body compensates for “normal” camera shake due to e.g. hand holding the camera at slow shutter speeds.
Cheers

Dennis

PS - My EF-S 60mm F2.8 macro lens is as sharp as the proverbial razor.