View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Desler,

Congratulations on tracking down M104 and now M83. As others have commented, you will find a big improvement in M104 and a vast improvement on M83 from a truly dark site.

Indeed with 10-12" 'scopes from a really dark site, experienced observers can see the spiral arms in M83. In really big telescopes, it is one of the most beautiful galaxies in the sky.

As you note, the best way to find it is to become familiar with that small lower-case "y" shaped asterism made by 1, 2, 3, & 4 Centauri. A line drawn from 2 to 1 (across the branches of the "y") and extended 2x that length lands you exactly on it.

Just consider the privations Messier endured to find it -- using a 'scope much smaller than yours, with somewhat inferior optics and the highest altitude it attained in Paris was 10 degrees above the southern horizon (and you can imagine the smoke-haze in Paris at that time from everyone burning coal & wood to keep warm).

You wrote:

"Oddly enough my wife had no interest in coming over and droolling over it with me"

This strikes a chord with me and, just at a wild guess, 95% of the males in amateur astronomy. You have achieved much more than I my friend -- my wife wouldn't even be found within the confines of the shop! For a reverse view, did you enjoy 6-7 hrs of shoe-shopping with your wife the last time she went?

Best,

Les D