View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 AM
desler

Quick session 29/02

Started off the day hunting for a few favourite objects in a partly cloudy, poor seeing evening.

47 Tuc. Is probably the best thing I've seen in the sky, through the 32mm wide anlge 2 inch, there isn't that much detail, drop down to the 25mm Plossl and the view fills the EP and I can just sit and watch!

M104. I'm getting very used to finding this now after a fair while not finding it at all, work the triangle out between Spica, Algorab and Porrima, work my way down from Algrorab, find the tight sharks head, and there you are. I still need to use averted vision from my backyard. But I'm itching to see it from a dark sky sight.

M83. Well it's taken about 6 weeks of searching, scratching my head and getting slightly frustrated, but nailed it tonight. Messier said "One is only able with the greatest concentration to see it at all." in 1781. I'm almost embarrased with the technology advances in star tracking, observing and telescope design that I have to definately agree with the statement in 2008.
With averted vision it was the faintest of smudges, found it tracking from 2 cen to 1 cen and then catching it with averted vision.

Whilst not and impressive list. I'm feeling happier and more comfortable everytime I take the scope out. However, I did see my first ever 12 Inch Dob today in the flesh. Oddly enough my wife had no interest in coming over and droolling over it with me and stayed at the far end of Bintel's Melbourne Office.

Take it easy.

Darren