View Single Post
Old 28-08-2007, 10:44 AM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Something else to try if you have the HW and SW capability.

Just guessing here, but I would assume that if you can connect your mount to a computer running a planetarium program such as SkyTools, Starry Night Pro or The Sky, then the tracking commands sent to the mount are likely to be accurate positional data based upon real time calculations?

They probably wouldn’t account for refraction, etc?

Cheers

Dennis
hhmmm...I'll have a look into it. Just in regards to your first reply, I found this:

Because the Moon orbits the Earth, its RA and Dec change during the course of the night. The lunar tracking rate compensates for the RA component of that change; there is no compensation for the changes in Dec. While sidereal rate can certainly be used for visual lunar observing, the lunar rate will do a better job keeping the Moon centered in the telescope' s field of view. Since the Moon is relatively near the Earth, even the location on Earth where you are observing must be taken into account. The lunar tracking rate therefore takes the parallax into account by calculating topocentric instead of geocentric positions. Gemini computes the tracking rates by calculating the current position of the Sun or Moon and the position one hour later.

http://www.visionwebhosting.net/aust...iGuide0028.htm