View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:33 PM
Fox

Hi all,

OK, Update on my PC/ZWO camera issues:

1) In the belief that my HP Celeron laptop was causing my ZWO 224MC choppy video problem, I bought a new laptop. I reckon I got a pretty good deal - an HP model 15s fq1055tu. Basically 15.6" screen, Intel core i7, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, extended numeric lit keyboard, 2 x USB-3, 1 x USB-C, fingerprint ID, for $788 at JB. It leaves the Celeron in the dust.

2) After installing ASCOM, ZWO drivers, and Firecapture all from scratch, the ZWO camera STILL shows choppy video! A 60 sec capture records say 18 sec of incomplete/truncated/choppy video. I'm an now left with the idea that the ZWO camera is at fault. I'll try giving a call to Bintel, but I also think the next step is to link up with someone and do a direct A-B side by side test with another ZWO webcam - or maybe I am doing something stupid from the get go (that's high on the cards as well).

3) I know the new laptop will still be needed in the long run when I start to get into deep-sky, multiple devices, and more demanding capture and processing software.

So the obvious question is: has anyone had experience with a ZWO camera playing up in such a way ?

Michael (aka 'Fox')