View Single Post
Old 24-11-2020, 02:19 PM
glend (Glen)

I promised an update on my purchase decision supporting a two scope (long and short fl) strategy for EAA, and here it is:

I decided to go with a Skywatcher ED150DX as the long focal length scope. While native f8, or 1200mm fl, I will be running it initially at f(6,8), or 1020mm fl, with the (0.85x Skywatcher reducer) but anticipate that I can get it down to f(6,3) with a TS reducer, or 948mm fl.
Why this particular scope, simply the Black Friday Special price I was able to get it for was a big factor. The DX, Esprit 3" focuser equipped model, was a big savings over the previous list price for the 2" focuser standard model.
It will be used both visually initially, and EAA eventually (when I sort out my ideal EAA camera), although my Nikon D5300 can shoot video now.

For the short fl scope I am aiming at a 500mm refractor, likely the new Evolux 82mm f6,4 at 530mm native focal length with potential for reduction. The Evolux can easily piggy back on the ED150DX, so they can both live on the CGX in the observatory.
That is all for now.

Last edited by glend; 24-11-2020 at 02:37 PM.