View Single Post
Old 15-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Renato,

Not difficult to insulate a scope with tube rings. The wrap can be made in sections with Velcro to attach each piece around the OTA. Wavytone does this with his 10" Mak. The pic below shows his Mak as he was setting it up. He keeps the middle section of the insulating wrap on the scope, and then pops on the two other sections. Takes all of 30 seconds to attach the two other parts.

It's not just the elimination of the cooling period, it also extends the dew-free period for the corrector. How long though depends on the prevailing conditions of any given night. For me often I have no dew issues with the Mak, and the small fan takes care of things when dew starts to form. With an SCT, because the corrector is so thin the insulation won't totally prevent it from dewing up, but markedly extends how long it stays dry.

Alex.
Thanks Alex,
My tube rings are closer together than in the 10"Mak, which would make it more fiddly. But on the other hand, I do have a 5" MAK without tube rings, where insulation could be applied more easily.

I keep wondering if the OP ever got a decent view of Mars.
I hope our digression on his thread hasn't annoyed him.
Regards,
Renato