View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
... sharpest one I have being a nikon 50mm f/1.4 prime...
Alex - a great lens. I have two, and they are my fave's by far -one off my 1969 Nikon F and the other an Ai from the late 80's. Beautiful glass.

Maybe you could look at a Takahashi Teegul SkyPatrol-II or III eq. mount like I have. It's designed to be very small. It takes the weight of a 60-80mm scope and camera but is wonderful with just the camera and a good lens on board. You can buy them for around the $1,100 mark and the quality is phenomenal. A real instrument. I plan to keep mine forever. Packed ALONG with the scope here in a little road case, it's the ultimate in portability. Now I even have the camera and all associated gear in the same case.

If you want to capture planets - then you'll most likely forget everything I've said up top, as you really need a little aperture and a webcam or other frame streaming device. It's all about compromise. If deep space and widefield is your thing, then the above combo is hard to beat for the little effort it takes to include it on any trip you do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (800_PB280022.sized.jpg)
100.7 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (P2040003a.sized.jpg)
99.0 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_5021_1024.sized.jpg)
78.4 KB39 views