View Single Post
Old 28-09-2020, 10:21 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am fairly well invested in Voyager at this point (Having evolved through both APT and SGP trying to get something that would reliably focus my SCT)

Just beware if you ask a question on Voyager focusing that there is a clash of terminology. At least in Voyager speak the single star focusing routine is a V curve, not the full field average as is done in SGP and produces what looks like a V curve to most people!

The "V curve" in Voyager is produced by the focus system as it characterises your optics using the first light wizard, and you can add more V curve runs after that and I assume it then averages the lot. From my understanding it compares star HFD (It uses stars with known magnitudes) to the recorded V curve (Which has a lot more data points than the standard 9 of an SGP focus run) to calculate the correct focus position, moving the focuser a few times to determine which side of focus it is on and confirm best focus. SGP is doing something broadly similar to the Voyager V curve characterisation each time it makes a focus run, but using the whole of field average HFR and a lot less data points.

I have found the V curve mode to be the most reliable focus routine and quick (Even allowing for a slew to a focus star and back) but you need either reasonably flat optics or to be imaging something small in the field of view to make the best of it. The full field focus routine is at least as quick as SGP is and in my experience, at least as robust, but you run the first light wizard for the V curve first which auto populates the step size etc.