View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Paddy,
N7172 is going to be a tough nut to crack, but given the amount that you do see in other objects, I think that there is a good chance that you will crack it.

You live away from the major cities, I do believe.
This must be a great blessing for a visual observer.
I always had to drive three or four hours to my observing site, and then face the prospect of being clouded out. Perhaps my large amount of time-commitment relative to my very modest actual amount of useful observing time, was why I stopped doing regular visual observing and astrophotography.....the ever-increasing masses of unanalyzed imaging data on the internet make it much more efficient for me to spend my limited free time with other people's data. In any case, I am primarily interested in the morphologies and properties of galaxies, so I will use whatever data is best for this very specialized purpose.

Best regards, robert

The "warped and bent" and/or "thickened" and/or "non-planar" dust disk in NGC 7172 is something that I must pay more attention to. I have a large "Rogues Gallery" on disk drive...which is full of many weird and wonderful Spirals and S0 Galaxies that have a wide variety of strange non-planar features (bends, twists, thickenings, tilts, etc, instead of simply the canonical "planar galaxy" that we find in the old textbooks)

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 07-10-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: correction and more info