View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 01:29 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
Hi all,

What criteria do you use when deciding when to upgrade your gear?

OK - It’s probably just Gear Lust rearing it’s head again…. but how do you make your upgrade decisions, and what would you go for in my place?

Cheers,

Chris
Chris, there is only one thing to ask yourself: What do you need in a camera that your Canon 600D does not give you? Is it a question of image quality or a question of certain features?

You mentioned that you had a collection of Canon lenses, whether these are EF-S lenses (to support the Canon APS-C image circle) or EF lenses (to support a full frame image circle) will determine, along with the lens model/ Image Quality/performance, whether your lens collection should or should not be used as a determinant in the path you take, i.e: maybe even decide to switch brands, if the lenses aren't what you want them to be, if for instance wanting to move to full frame and not having any EF lenses.

The Canon 600D is a wonderful camera, to see how much better OR NOT you can get I would suggest you pick a hand full of hopeful contenders to replace it and go to the dpreview Studio Scence Image and compare this standard test image, across the various brands, at different ISO, JPEG/RAW, etc settings and decide. If you want more info let me know and I'll point the way to the widget with some suggestions on how best to use it. Or alternatively, borrow the cameras and make your own test images (Much harder).

Best
JA