View Single Post
Old 29-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

My Unitron 60mm is a light and useful telescope. It cost $200+ in 1975 and some of my lay friends were amazed by my extravagance. (Imagine their shock if I had brought the 4 inch Unitron!)

The scope come with six Unitron eyepieces, which I replaced with Vixens EPs about 20 years ago, although I still have the Unitron 9mm (shown). It also was supplied with an attractive, wooden, carry box.

Its good for its size, performing similar optically to a Skywatcher 70mm (900mm), which I previously have owned, although the Unitron is of a much better quality construction. Note the strange arrangement with the focuser with only a knob or wheel on the right-hand side.

It is a great "Moonlight" telescope, as I can have a quick look at things on a Moonlight evening, without wishing for a larger aperture.

My only real disappointment was that it does not have enough resolving power to show Uranus as a disc.

I have had some really good experiences with it and it have found it a pleasure to use. For reasons that I still do not fully understand, it gave the best and sharpest views of the transit of Venus (outperforming my fine 102mm ED Vixen) back in 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0725.jpg)
200.0 KB152 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0724.jpg)
199.2 KB127 views