View Single Post
Old 29-07-2019, 08:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin
I write here to put some pressure on myself as I see the date of the last entry and usually things I have listed to do. And I look at the photos sometimes to remember what I have been through.

The observatory will take both the heq 5 with the 80mm and also the eq 6 with the eight inch. ..the reason I had to rotate the thing was so the eight would have room to move.

I have just now walked into the van after 10 hours on the road..in the car is the cement pier and mounting stuff for the eq6 and indeed the eq6, I forgot how heavy it was...its big...as well as the eight inch and lots of stuff such that the car as packed with only room left for a driver...the night here is perfect but I am too tired to set up...moving that cement mount and getting it in the car really knocked me about...well it was not the only thing as packing to a real long time..I am bit sore and very tired.

Now how to get the cement pier out of the car??? That will keep me awake��
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Thanks Alex for sharing. I'm following your epic journey with great enthusiasm. Much like a ongoing Phantom comic in the newspaper, except your adventure actually has a goal, purpose and I believe, a resolution!

Speaking of home observatories, mine is bigger than yours, but infinately less effective. We are in the process of getting a new roof on our house. There is currently no roof present above us tonight.

Naturally, an opportunity to observe was taken from the comfort of indoors... In this case, Jupiter :p
Thanks Andy.
Look leave the roof off and install a big tarp that you can move as required

I could not help myself I went out and arranged some tools and looked at things that will help get the cement pier out. I have some nice logs ( don't know what they are but looked like hardwood and is as light as softwood) which I could rig as a tripod which could work...maybe later tonight
I am so tired but after a cuppa and a rest I feel ready to go but I know it's best if I try and sleep... and maybe get up around 3 and try M31 with the Nikon and a 200 mm lens..Being out there just now I realised I have a good North view . ...usually North is of no interest.
Alex

What I did manage to bring was my ALDI camper type fridge which means I can get a couple of roasts to do over the fire pit...there is nothing like a nice leg of lamb slowly cooked over a smoky fire...four or five hours. .. so I can do that and able to keep it after cooked.
Alex

Couldn't get up for M31 but there is cloud here now so probably didn't miss a thing.
Been up since 6-30 am and set up most stuff for more work. Have to clear the car out so I can see if I can get the pier out..well I will get it out somehow but I don't want to knock myself out like when I put it in.

Just setting up here is a task. Set up the solar panels and battery for the astronomy side, but have to do some major rewiring in the van..I want to bypass what is there and know what is running about the place. I purchased another inverter to run the van so as to keep the van and the observatory separate systems.

The to-do list is growing but last night I found a list that I was working from and heck I sure have made some progress.

It does not always feel that way cause you tend to think about what still needs to be done but I do like looking over those lists to realise it is actually moving forward..

I have decided to use the clay for a rather unique chess set and rather than make pieces the same will make everything a individual piece which relieves pressure to copy pieces exact...how to fit it in however.
Alex

Easy as...came out in no time (I didn't time it but maybe only ten minutes) a little planning goes a long way. Really didn't need the turfer but the ramp was critical...

And the other pic is what goes on top of the pier to hold the eq6..it houses the top of the tripod which enabled me to keep it simple..done years ago...but newly painted
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190730084531_resize_11.jpg)
133.0 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20190730084624_resize_47.jpg)
110.4 KB92 views

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.