View Single Post
Old 17-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Sorry guys - Photography 101 here! Please be patient with me.

So I have previously used ICNR with the Pentax K100D but the time it takes is too much for timelapse - particularly for meteors whizzing by! I want to maximise shutter open time!

So I experimented last night with INCR off.

Here is a 20 sec dark (cap over lens in a dark room), ISO 1600, camera temperature probably 22-25 deg C. White balance set to "Tungsten". And saving as jpegs on the memory card.

I've had to resize and compress but is this what I expect to see - a rainbow of colours, something like the early quantum fluctuations of the Universe?
2 things.
Darks don't really work with jpeg files as the individual pixels are not kept separate in the file. You need to use raw files.
The colour balance you choose makes no difference to a raw file itself but does change how it is displayed on the screen.
The colour effect is just because the indivudal pixels that are really still monochrome detectors are having colour added to them in your display as part of the debayering process. This doesn't change the value of each pixel, just how it is displayed. As a dark it doesn't matter what colour they are displayed on your screen.