View Single Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:40 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
. Here are the only solutions to correct the issue that I have learnt.
- Purchase a low profile focuser (way too expensive and not worth it)
- Buy an adapter that will allow eyepiece projection
- Move the primary mirror further up the tube
- Replace the primary mirror screws and springs with longer ones which will place it higher in the tube

Thanks
Your fourth option is basically what I did. Added 20mm of spacers and longer screws to push the mirror up but my scope is DIY and lends itself well to modification. Not sure how easy it would be to do with yours.

It may make some EPS not have enough depth but that is easily fixed with screw in EP extenders. I have only one that really requires this.

Shifting the mirror up this way is not hard and is easily reversible so worth exploring. Better than drilling holes and spending heaps on things that may not work.
How much further do you think you need to reduce the focal length ? Are you close to focus when you run out of inward travel ? As I said, mine was only 20mm. Nice solid spacers reduces the chance of the longer screws wobbling and you can still use the provided springs. Just need longer screws. I turned my spacers up on the lathe so all equal thickness but you should be able to find something in the local hardware that could be adapted.