View Single Post
Old 21-02-2019, 11:36 AM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
The same should be done for computer and portable digital devices between synchronisations to say NTP because most are not all that good - it’s not uncommon to see an iPhone or iPad off by a few seconds when compared to atomic time as broadcast by radio, or the 1194 time service.
To my knowledge NTP calculates an offset value. Although with NTP the time does originate from high-precision timekeeping devices such as atomic clocks, GPS or other radio clocks it often goes through many mediatory time servers which complicate things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

Recently I had the chance to try out the program during a ISS transit of the moon. I did notice about ~1 second of lag. I wasn't looking at the screen so I don't know if it was just the voice systhersier lagging or the actual time being off.

I'm also not sure how accurate the transit data is but they show .00 resolution so I'd think that would be somewhat spot on.

Even with the time not being perfectly accurate from a functional viewpoint it performed fine. Maybe in future versions I can try and improve the accuracy.

You can watch the transit and hear the countdown in action here.