View Single Post
Old 21-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Good day Rodney, had a good look at all your files and TBH I can't see much wrong with the scope. That's what I would expect for that type of refractor with that level of scrutiny

Having said that how do you focus? Are you absolutely sure you are in focus when you get outer field aberrations?

Re:CAA it's very easy to fix. Pull it apart. You'll see there is no bearing or bush. It's only two parts extremely tight fitted. You need to pull them apart, degrease and clean them, then put just one drop of very thin oil and slide them back together then adjust the ring for tension. You'll then see you'll have no sag or play and it will rotate very smoothly.
Thanks Marc. I can certainly look at some maintenance with the CAA to take up any play. At this stage though I'm not convinced that this will solve the issue but it is still worth doing.

Being aware of the importance of getting the focus correct I took care to make sure that the focus was as spot on as I could get it. I checked the SGP Pro auto focus routine carefully and in addition stepped the focuser through the focus range as a reference.

One of the key issues I noted is that because of the elongation in the stars in the centre of the image, I am having trouble trying to register the pre and post meridian sub frames. As well as that I don't believe that the OTA is performing to what an FSQ106 should.