Thread: Single arm CPC
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Tasastro (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Neat looking job Bill, I did a similar mod with a CPC11 fork.
I'd like to see more detail on your connection of the saddle to the fork arm.
Thanks Tony. The job was done over a fairly long period between other tasks and I didn't document the progress. Best I can do is the following...

Since I wanted to keep overhang to the minimum and didn't intend returning the mount to original I decided to modify the existing mounting plates. Initially I sawed and machined off as much of the original OTA mounting plates as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RHS.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	226711

The image above is the non drive side plate modified in a similar manner as a trial.

Spaces between webs on the mounting face were filled with segments of 6mm aluminium plate Devconned in then faced off flush in the lathe. The holes for saddle mount screws were then drilled and tapped to 6mm into the infill plates and the drive plate. Also the two original mount holes in the drive plate for the plastic dress shroud were drilled and tapped to 6mm.

For appearance, and prevention of dust ingress to bearings an annular shroud was made from MDF (hardened with acrylic laquer) and glued to the drive plate.

Name:	Drive Side.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	226710

The Skywatcher puck was modified with installation of guide bars and drilling for 6mm mounting screws.

Name:	Saddle Top.jpg
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	226712

Original tapered spigot was milled off and saddle base faced off flat.

Name:	Saddle Mount Face.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	226713

Because the axle boss on the drive plate was slightly proud of the surface a gasket was made rather than machining a recess into the saddle face. It also helps damp vibration.

Name:	Gasket.jpg
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	226714

Last edited by Tasastro; 16-04-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: A few corrections