View Single Post
Old 23-02-2017, 04:05 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
It appears that the mirror is not locked up as long the filter is installed ?

With my Canon 6D the mirror keeps flipped up which makes the optical finder useless as long the filter is installed. No big deal for my UHC-S filter, but the Halpha filter does not show anything when in live view, even when using the ED110. In the latter case only very bright stars like Alpha Centaur or Capella show up faintly.
Is this not the case with this Nikon clip-in ?

Ok now i'm a little confused, I always assumed the clunk when taking a shot is the mirror flipping and there is no change in the sound my camera makes.

However when I got home from work I double checked Live view is not impeded but the viewfinder is blocked. I dont rely on it anyway and tend to keep its cover shuttered to avoid light leaks back into the optical train from behind camera.

And yes live view is dark for me anyway I rely on star hopping and a laser pointer held against the lens to guide me, then I check a test shot to see if I have the area I want in shot. As I cant see the nebulosity normally or faint comets on the camera I work out a bright nearby star I can place in a corner of the shot easily knowing the field of view contains my target object.

So thanks skysurfer; the optical viewfinder in the camera body IS blocked from use with this filter in place. Live View is uneffected substantially.