View Single Post
Old 17-06-2012, 12:23 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Greg,

I've been corresponding with the author of Solar Eclipse Maestro. I looked into this one specifically as it's written for Mac, and mine will run for >4hrs on battery, whereas my PC only lasts 2hrs - so not long enough for the full eclipse sequence without external power.

It also appears to play well with Nikon - I believe the author is a Nikon user. I did some beta testing for the author to get my D800 working properly. There are a couple of limitations:

It will take a full frame shot every two seconds, as it writes to the card before firing another shot. (I experienced similar problems when trailing eclipse orchestrator)

It will take up to 20 shots at 4fps, but you can't vary the exposure settings during this sequence. I was thinking about using this for the diamond ring, but the camera then locks up for 30secs while it clears the buffer.

You can also switch to DX mode which reduces the time between exposures to 1sec. This might be a better option for the diamond ring, as you could bracket exposures during the sequence.

It also has works with Live View, which may be useful for focusing - yet to try this out.

The scripting for both programs is almost identical, so comparison of your script with another from someone who has done this before is easy.

DT

Last edited by DavidTrap; 17-06-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Typo