View Single Post
Old 30-10-2013, 10:25 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqas View Post
Hi everyone. A beginner to this hobby, I have owned a 5" skywatcher dab for a month only, enjoyed moon, Saturn, Jupiter with it, and have passed it on as a gift. Now hoping to get a 12" Collapsible Dab, just like the one under discussion here. (I know it is a big jump for a novice like me, but I am not only an amateur but also an immature hobbyist. I want to go biggest aperture I can afford to buy.)
Now my question. If I wish to extend its use to astro-photography sometime in future, can I simply buy a plain 12 inch collapsible dab, and convert it into a tracking scope in future? or buy a Goto and covert it into tracking one(which could follow the object of interest and let me take decent photos)? is it possible? would it be costlier, than buying a Synscan now? Synscan and Goto are going beyond my affordability.
thanks is advance
Waqas
I am not sure about converting a non go to SW dob. I believe it may be possible, best bet is ring a supplier such as Bintel.
With regard to using a Go To dob for imaging, you need to be aware that not all "tracking" scopes are equal.
The tracking on a dob such as these is really designed for visual use to keep an object in view in an eyepiece. For successful long exposure imaging you need a eqautorially mounted scope of some kind with guiding capacity. Is is possible to mount the tube from a dob on an EQ mount, but truss style ones are a bit of a problem as the trusses are not really designed to be mounted that way.
A dob may be used for short exposure imaging of bright objects, eg moon and planets, but is primarily a visual scope.

Hope this helps

Malcolm