View Single Post
Old 22-03-2010, 08:29 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrillaga View Post
Hi gary! I Have the servo cat system with argo navis. I would like to align the telescope at night 22:00, and then go to sleep until 4:00 am. How can i park the telescope to dont align again? Thanks
Hi,

All you need to do is do your normal alignment at 10:00pm. You can leave the telescope unattended until 4:00am and it will keep its original alignment, provided you do not switch the argo navis unit off. You could switch the Servocat off but you must keep the Argo Navis unit on. If you do this it is a good idea to have a set of fresh AA batteries in the Argo navis so that if your external power source dies the AA batteries will cut in and keep the previous alignment.

A couple of years ago at ISAAC 2007, Gary and I left the Argo switched on on my 18" Obsession after we finished observing in the early hours of the morning, so that we could find Comet Mcnaught in the late afternoon the next day.

If you are going to leave Argo running for this length of time and hope to retain good pointing accuracy it is fairly important to do a good alignment initially and possibly do a TPAS pointing run.

Cheers,
John B