Thread: Old School
View Single Post
Old 22-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Thank you all for the kind and helpful comments. I'm finding I like this lens more and more.

Bojan; you are right of course, and I think I lazily tend to equate East German and Russian from that period as the same. I shouldn't. I think getting the multi coated version was probably a good thing. The colours are fantastic.

Michael: You are right in your assessment of the times in which we lived and it's effect on our assessment of these lenses when most of the pictures were 1hr lab jobs unless you were professionally set up. Add to that the ingrained prejudice of the masses over anything made on East Germany and Russia at the time, although personally I rather liked a lot of equipment that I saw from there when I worked in photo retail. The finish was not up to western standards, but often the mechanics and optics were. There were some lovely telescopes and lab quality microscopes that came across my counter that were very impressive. And it was insanely cheap.
Still though, I had some prejudice too and was locked into the Nikon/Canon mindset.
I'll be interested to see this lens' results when I upgrade to a higher resolution camera. Somewhere around the 30~32mp like the Canon R or EOS90D. So far though I am quite happy with it's output.
Definitely looking for a good Pentacon or Takumar 135 and 200mm now.

Raymo: I do notice some of the photographers I sub to on Youtube have recently bought medium format film cameras. So far they are all using the Hasselblad 500CM type with 80 and 150mm lenses. Some of these guys were barely into their teens when film 'died', so it's interesting watching them getting an education.
I would love a high quality film scanner, but that will have to wait until 'I'm rolling ion it' :-)
Again thanks for the feedback and kind words

Trevor