Thread: Old School
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2020, 12:04 AM
raymo

Hi Michael, It is not correct to say that digital has surpassed film. It was only
this year that a consumer digital camera finally equalled the resolution of the best consumer film. Film is still superior to digital in some areas, until 2014 all studio movies were shot on 35mm, by 2017 about 20% were still shot on 35mm, and even now some still are. Most pro and semi pro landscape photographers use medium or large format film cameras, no digital camera can come anywhere close to sheet film. Many industries still use film in their technical departments. Digital images are what experts call too clean edged; they don't look as natural as high quality film images. I used to do weddings, portraits, and industrial photography, and without exception, in each of those fields, my best images are all on film. Portraits especially, highlight the difference.
The finest image of M31 I have ever seen was taken by Tony and Daphne Hallas many years ago, and Sarah Wager's film images in her early days were just stunning. Its the processing that puts digital in front in AP, not the medium.
I borrowed some of these details from a member who posted them in a recent thread. I can't remember who it was.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 21-09-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: more text