View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Astrophotography Rig Advice

I'm still starting out on my AP journey; I have managed some short exposure shots on my Alt/Az Meade LX90, I have started on some solar imaging with my LUNT solarscope & I have recently acquired a Celestron CG5 Adv GT EQ mount.

I have also accumulated some cameras along the way...

I'm relatively happy with what I have achieved thus far; I've begun to stack multiple images, process videos for planetary & lunar & am slowly getting my head around software such as Autostakkert, DSS, Registax & Startools. I have along way to go in all areas but, am looking to progress a little further towards longer exposure shots.

My initial plan is to get my head around my EQ mount & do some longer exposure shots using an 80mm ST Refractor. I'm aware of both the scope and my mount's limitations but, this is about taking small steps, learning the basics & then progressing to the next step when I have the basics sorted.

I am however, beginning to look around at an imaging scope & ultimately using the 80mm Orion for guiding... What I am unsure about is in which direction to go... so, what are my priorities?

I'm glad you asked, here are my priorities in order of importance:

1. Portability & simplicity of setup & use
2. Relative 'compactness' for storage at home
3. Budget / Value for money
4. Usefulness for occasional visual use as a grab & go
5. Ability to be mounted on something like the Sky Adventurer (or similar) to enable travelling with the rig overseas (Not the highest priority)

Options currently being considered:

1. 80mm - 100mm APO - not the cheapest option I know but, portable & relatively simple

2. 130mm - 150mm Newtonian - a little bigger in terms of storage & portability but, fairly inexpensive.

3. 150mm Richey Creiten - again, a little bigger in terms of storage & portability but, still less expensive than an APO

I'm aware that each of these options have pro's & cons in terms of the priorities I listed & in ease of use (collimation vs no collimation), Field flatteners, Reducers, Coma Correctors, etc....

What I would like is comment from those who have used each of these types of scopes for imaging, ideally, from anyone who might have used all three perhaps...

Which way would you go & why?

Thanks in advance