View Single Post
Old 20-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Yes. A fast F4 system will capture nebula in much shorter time than an F10 system will. This is why fast scopes match DSLR's so well.
Thanks Kevin, that might explain why I've seen so many DSLR images on the cloudy nights forum taken with fast newts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
For example here's one I took years ago. 1100D 10x45secs ISO 3200. 8" f/5.
Very simple unguided imaging, and just stacked in DSS, no separate darks, flats, etc: Far better images of M16 than this can be obtained with a DSLR.
raymo
Cheers Raymo, that's a great image you've got there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Evan

There is no doubt that the Astro cam image is clearer. I concur that the fact that it's a mono cam would help with that considerably. It's a good comparison to see. Often, as we all have different equipment, it's hard to tell what is causing what difference. Good on you for posting it.

As far as F ratio goes, lower f, lower required exposure time for the same data. That being said, I have an f10 SCT which is " slow " by AP standards and I live under skies that literally look like daylight when it's cloudy. The trick there is to trade in a good f ratio for some good old fashioned perseverance.
Thanks Ryan, absolutely! Based the information contained in this thread I've now realised that it's not as simple as comparing the cameras. The telescope, f ratio etc. is also an important component.
I often find myself shooting at either f10 or f7. My favourite targets are galaxies so I prefer the longer focal lengths