View Single Post
Old 16-01-2018, 09:26 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've got a polar alignment question I was hoping someone here might be able to help me with it.

I would like to know if it is feasible to determine polar alignment error by taking a series of plate solved images, two near the horizon maybe 15-30 minutes of arc apart and then two near the meridian with similar spacing.

My hypothesis is there would be constant dec in each of the plate solves if the mount only moves in RA and the polar alignment is perfect. Is that logic sound or am I missing something? I get that atmospheric effects can shift the apparent location of the star and this might be the show stopper. Is there a way to account for this?

If my first hypothesis holds true the my second hypothesis is that a polar alignment error would result in a change in the plate solved dec result between subsequent images. Furthermore the change in dec divided by the change in RA between the pairs of images would enable you to determine the rate of drift and hence the magnitude of the alignment error in both altitude and azimuth.

I've been a bit sick and have taken some cold and flue medication so please forgive me if I'm talking nonsense.

Cheers

Peter