View Single Post
Old 14-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaddah View Post
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this, it's exactly what i was looking for as I too will be travelling to TN, Usa in August to chase the eclipse.

That last shot you have posted of the corona (petal like formation) was that a single 2-3 second shot, or a stack of images? Seems like ~500mm is the recommended focal length for these types of images?

I'm going to have one camera setup (trying to work out which one to take/buy) and will practice as much as possible before hand. May even purchase a skywatcher tracker. I don't want to spend too much time with camera and really want to spend as much time as possible observing totality with naked eye.

Thanks again!
Glad you found the guide to be useful. I'll add more information as time allows.

That last image was shot using a Pentax DSLR and William Optics 80mm APO refractor. It is a stack of about 17 images. It won a few awards

Focal length is really dealer's choice. If you have a beautiful foreground scene it would be a shame not to include it...hence you'd be looking at standard focal lengths i.e. 50mm or so, for a full frame camera, plus a fixed tripod.

At 500mm you'll want to be tracking the sun with a small EQ mount...as apart from avoiding image blur from the earth's rotation, you won't be struggling to keep the Sun constantly re centered during the eclipse.