View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 01:17 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Good guide Peter. All my guide is :
Practice long before the event!!!!

I'll just add a few of my thoughts not to detract from yours but reinforce what you've said.

I'm yet to get a chance at a total but caught a few partials and the venus transit and every single time PRACTICE was key. Work out the manual settings to get you a good clean shot of full disc, I've found this setting works through partiality, you dont get dimming until totality so find the ONE setting that works, go outside in the weeks before and practice setting up and taking shots. The sun and moon are in constant motion so you won't have time to fumble trying settings once it hits totality, dont waste time reviewing shots on camera.

If I get a shot at a total (only 4,048 days until i might have a chance) I'd also have a second setting worked out to bracket exposure times using high speed shooting to try to capture corona details during totality. Plan ahead what shots you want and do test runs before the date to fine tune exactly what settings you need and how you're going to time shots etc. Don't just assume you can show up with gear and it will all work out on the fly.

Also don't just stick with one camera if you have several, you can configure other cameras to take certain shots/time lapse etc.

Another thing to practice is shooting the sun when its behind cloud cover, Find a good setting for that too in case the clouds get in your way on the day. Even behind clouds you can easily get the partiality and even sunspots, dont just assume you cant get anything for an event thats so rare for most people.