View Single Post
Old 15-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Great to meet you StarH. I'm only new to this money pit hobby, so the idea of having to get yet another gadget for the scope....sheesh!

Looks good though. Tell me how it goes!

I've heard others say that these scopes hold their focus very well, so am willing to struggle for a bit.

I will be using a modded EOS 40D for photography at first, an old trusty friend that I . Then maybe in a year or two I'll succumb to a mono CCD!

These scopes are lightning fast, so I'm really looking fwd to testing how low exposure times I can get without an obvious quality reduction. Can't wait to try. I'll keep an eye out for your images on the forum too. No pressure eh! I'll join your group.

The Taks are as good as they get. It's quality thru and thru. If I had the $$'s I'd get their 8" refr. and mount. Taks are known for their collimation and holding it. So once you get pinpoint focus, lock and forget it. In all my 60 years in astronomy, I haven't seen one single complaint about the Taks, only from those who wish they could afford one...LOL.. IMHO, Taks out-perform AP, Borg and TMBs but not sure about a Carl Zeiss refractor of equal aperture. Now that would be test!! But as the old saying goes, it's not what you use, but how you use it.

As for your mod 40D, enjoy it as I too, have one. Yep, got mine done a few years ago in Sydney, Best thing I ever did to a DSLR. It's a Full Spectrum sensor and taking images in Ha of nebulae, is as good if not better than using filters and with your setup, like Lewis with his Epsilon, these scopes are made for those who appreciate quality. See you over in the Yahoo group. I'll post some pics there.

Last edited by Star Hunter; 15-04-2014 at 11:09 AM.