View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 07:18 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ryan
The HEQ5 and EQ6-R are similar in “looks” but very different on the inside.Yes the EQ6-R is the bigger brother but performance wise out of the box and payload capability are superior
The best guiding error I could ever get out of my HEQ5 over 2 years was around 1.15 arc sec error with 9kg on board and good balancing ( I could never get it under 1 arc sec error )
The EQ6-R with same rig but at 10kg on board ( added larger losmandy dovetail bar ) is 0.75 arc sec error
When dithering with he HEQ5 it knocked the mount around to much and took minutes to recover, especially in DEC.With the EQ6-R I can send a medium to high dither and it recovers beautifully in 10 seconds
The HEQ5 when slewing sounds like bucket of bolts rattling and the EQ6-R is so silent like a hummingbird

So in my experiences there’s no comparison between the HEQ5 and the EQ6-R out of the box , it’s chalk and cheese , the EQ6-R is a much more robust and superior performing mount

My 2 cents......
You’re 100% right martin and I don’t doubt for a second that the 6 is better than the 5 as the 8 would be better than the 6 but the 5 is what I have. I’m accordingly happy with the fact I’ve got my 5 guiding at under .7 arc seconds with 11.5 kg sitting on it. I’m not nessesarly looking into this on a purely better image level. At the end of the day I’m currently imaging through a 15 year old entry level camera so you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear as they say. This is more an experiment of greater understanding. Part of my personal enjoyment in this hobby is really learning ( as much as my brain can handle ) how things work and what I can do to make things better. The filter may make no difference at all but it’s not an expensive experiment to try.