View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 10:26 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
I would have suggested a filter that blocks visible and passes IR....sort of what an ONAG does. Yes, guide stars are dimmer for sure but stars are less affected by atmospheric turbulence. See innovations Foresight for more about this.

https://www.innovationsforesight.com...-infrared-nir/

Peter
A very interesting post there Peter. It’s probably towards the top end of my understanding but not beyond my interest and I can work on the former. From what I gather though, the I/R spectrum is used because it is less effected by atmospheric conditions as you said but the downside is a significant reduction in luminance. This is probably where my issue would lie given I can probably only go for 3sec or so before my mounts accuracy would diminish the result. My initial thought with the use of an I/R filter was to reduce the glow around the body of the star to tighten it up and as a result make the response to movement better. It seems that although in visual theory this might work, the atmospheric star dance will still occur across the rest of the visible spectrum.

Thank you for taking the time to post this reply, it was very informative.

Cheers

Ryan