View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ryan,
Just like to share some of my personal guiding observations whilst imaging
I use the same mount ( EQ6-R ) and guide scope and guide camera at both Sydney ( Bortle 8 ) using a 6” f6 newt 900mm focal length and my weekender south coast NSW ( Bortle 3 ) using my 8” f5 newt 1000mm focal length and achieve “similar guiding error values” which are both dependent on seeing and transparency ( ie upper atmospheric conditions) and local conditions like wind , dew , humidity etc...
Excellent seeing 0.70 to 0.80 max arc sec error
Average to good seeing 0.80 to 1.00 max arc sec error
Poor seeing 1.00 to 1.30 max arc sec error

However after many imaging hours with both set ups I can honestly say that my Bortle 3 dark location has produced some of my best and most consistent guiding ( PHD2 ) after a 6 month comparison and using a heavier payload (the 8” f5 newt).Whether this is due to “lucky seeing conditions” down south compared to Sydney, I really don’t know or the EQ6-R performs better under a slightly heavier load or my polar alignment was slightly better , lots of variables !!!!
I balance both rigs “slightly east heavy” too

Also one observation I have experienced at both locations , under a +50% waning or waxing moon my guiding has been marginally worse than under a “No Moon” Bortle 8 and Bortle 3 sky.

Just thought I would share some of my guiding experiences over the past 6 months or so with a similar rig at 2 different locations

Cheers
Martin