View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 11:48 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
@gregbradley If 7.5 to 10mm are for planets, what is the 20-25mm suited for? Is this 1.25 or 2inch eye pieces?

hmmm the APM price tag is over budget, but with what I have, will two budget additional eyepieces make a significant difference or will something like that be a better investment to enjoy?
I think one 20mm APM XWA ($490 or so) and a 2 inch Bintel barlow ($89)
gives you an effective 10 and 20mm. The barlow also helps correct the stars at the edge of the field of view. I would prefer that as its a wow eyepiece rather than 2 medium quality eyepieces that will be good but not wow.

Greg.

A Bintel Barlow now gives any eyepiece 2 focal lengths. So that would be a recommendation. I got their 2 inch one for $89 and its very good, slightly better than the APM 2 inch barlow I got as well.

I found 17.5mm a nice comfortable and wide view at 819mm F6. SO allowing for the longer focal length that becomes 20-25mm.

The Dual ED 25mm I have is quite good and is only $89 on ebay.
Its not Televue, Baader or APM good but its a decent eyepiece given the low cost.

As I mentioned the TMB Planetary 2 is only $53 on Ebay and if you got the 9mm it would be a great lunar and planetary and DSO on a good night eyepiece. Way better performance than the $53 price tag would have you expect.

Celestron, Meade, Orion, GSO all have their budget offerings. Best to check out reviews by googling the brand and read what owners have to say about them.

I also got an SvBony 8-24mm zoom off ebay for about $125. Its pretty good. Again not the best but very flexible and I note many visual guys list a zoom as their favourite eyepiece. The Baader Hyperion 8-24 is usually regarded as the best. Its around $389 though. Quality costs but there are bargains.

Edmunds Optics RKE 28mm often comes up on all time 10 favourite eyepieces lists. Its only about AUD$163 shipped from Edmunds Optics Singapore.

https://www.edmundoptics.com.au/f/ed...epieces/12484/

I just ordered a 2nd one for use in a binoviewer.

Greg.[/QUOTE]