View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 04:52 PM
gregbradley

1200mm focal length. 40mm for me would be too wide. I have a 40mm plossl and it is too wide at 819mm focal length. You are a bit less than half again focal length. I find 16/17.5-20mm very pleasant at 819mm focal length.
The sweet spot for me. 12.5mm also looks nice but 5mm is too high a mag and I see eye floaters.

So that would equate to 20-25mm eyepieces for your scope to get a nice comfortable mag. You might want a shorter focal length for planets, perhaps around 7.5 to 10mm. The TMB Planetary 11 eyepieces sell for about AUD$53 on ebay and are outstanding for the price.

20-25. I have a 25mm dual ED lens that is well made and is quite good. Not in the same league as the very high end eyepieces like Baader Morpheus, Televue Nagler or Ethos or APM.

An APM 20mm XWA would be sensational. I have the 9 and the 20 and they are wow eyepieces. But they are more than $150.

There are probably nice eyepieces from Celestron, Orion, perhaps GSO for that price. Best to check reviews on Cloudy Nights. But I would rather have one wow eyepiece than 3 ordinary eyepieces for the same total cost.

Greg.