View Single Post
Old 21-10-2018, 07:13 PM
GC - South Aus

Skywatcher/Takahashi Sky Patrol III - Tripod Solution

Hi Everyone

This weekend I was interested in getting my Takahashi (Skywatcher Adventurer (SA) Hybrid) Sky Patrol III Mount out of hibernation to use with my Takahashi FS-60Q. I have really been neglecting this little mount, which can be used in both ALT-AZ or EQ mount designs (images below show the EQ setup). I bought the mount to use as a quick grab and go/travel mount for a Tak FS-60Q, Tak Sky 90II and for camera and lens combinations.

As can be seen in the images I am using a SA base for the Sky Patrol III with a dovetail, instead of the Tak base. The SA base also allows me to make elevation adjustments more easily.

The primary reason I have been neglecting this little beauty is due to the fact that I didn't have a tripod for it. I was originally thinking about getting a Berlebach Tripod, but on eBay they start at a minimum of $300 with most being overseas incurring an extra $100 in shipping. I then looked at my Manfrotto camera tripod, which is a fairly decent version, but even that didn't seem too sturdy for the purpose (especially for the Sky 90II!). Although it will probably be ok for travel with the FS-60Q and camera/lenses. The other issue I had was that I also didn't have a 3/8" screw plate for the tripod, which I needed for the SA base (another purchase!).

So I looked at the SA purpose built tripod, currently sold at Bintel for $139. But, I am also not too convinced by that either and for the price I am not too sure how sturdy it is by looking at the images.

So I turned my attention to my CGEM tripod, and with a visit to Bunnings and expenditure of approx $10 - $12 (on 3/8" steel thread rod, 3/8" nuts, 3/8" washers and 3/8" butterfly nuts). I have now managed to setup up the SA/Tak hybrid mount on the CGEM tripod. It is absolutely rock solid and such a simple solution.

So for anybody needing a rock solid tripod for the either the SA or the TAK TGM, consider using an exisiting tripod for a cheap and quick (approx 5 mins) solution. It is perfect and can still move it around so easily with one hand.

Only problem now is that I can't attach my Tak FS-60Q clamp to the mount as I don't have any of the right length M8 bolts. Bugger, looks like another trip to Bunnings!

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1835.JPG)
115.8 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1833.JPG)
71.4 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1834.JPG)
88.5 KB30 views

Last edited by GC - South Aus; 21-10-2018 at 07:27 PM.