Thread: Ngc 253
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Looking overall superb. A fine minor points. I would concentrate at this point on trying to sharpen up the data. It looks like it could be sharpened more with the right techniques.

The star colours are slightly oversaturated. I personally like the colours you have in the galaxy but the stars look a bit candy.

I would only concentrate on getting extra luminance and working with that layer to sharpen it up as much as you can before artifacts start to appear.

I remember ages ago when I was first starting out one prominent member here (who stopped posting years ago for some reason) did a super sharp Eta Carina image on a 12.5 inch RCOS. He showed how much unsharp mask he could apply with increasingly longer exposure times. By the time he got to 16 hours he could get it really sharp. A valuable lesson.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, solid advice there. I've had another look at the final image after reading your comment and noticed that it looks a bit softer than the luminance data would suggest. The luminance data was 1.9" FWHM integrated, which is pretty good, but I'm imaging at 0.5"/px so I'm a bit oversampled still, which will make it look a bit softer... that said, 1.9" integrated is still pretty damned sharp.

I think I know the cause... I've deconvolved the luminance data and then combined it with some pretty noisy, lower quality RGB data and then turned the saturation to 11. I think that's resulted in the image looking softer than it should (because the chrominance data was softer). Based on that, I'm changing my plans for tonight and intend to invest more time in this target, specifically aiming to beef up the chrominance data. I might also try deconvolving the chrominance data. Will be interesting to see what difference it makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It's come together really well Lee, very well done
Thanks Colin :-) Looks like I'm not done with this one yet afterall.