View Single Post
Old 28-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
It needs to be pointed out that it depends what you are trying to image . If you are doing planetary imaging then there is benefit from a greater degree of oversampling or density of pixels as you are going to pick up better random moments of excellent seeing in very short exposures and weed them out for stacking. You would have far less chance of capturing the finest moments when you are doing 5 min plus subs.
A good point Mark. I am solely interested in DSOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Hi Suavi,

I have a copy of Telescopes, Eyepieces and Astrographs: Design, Analysis and Performance of Modern Astronomical Optics if you'd like to borrow it. It's a very interesting read. They are big on ray fan plots as well as spot diagrams.

http://www.willbell.com/TM/Telescope...trographs.html

Cheers,
Rick.
Sounds great, thank you Rick. Would it be okay to borrow your book for a few weeks after the NYE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Thanks Suavi! I didn't really know what to expect, so it's good to have a frame of reference. From my DSLR it's typically a bit higher ~2.5 so I figured I was just lucky with the seeing, but no doubt the mono sensor plays into it too.
I think 3nm filters make a significant difference in terms of star sizes, in particular when used with my doublet.