Thread: Rup 106 & E3
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Rob,

Yep the sketch shows a good position for Ruprecht 106 and I think it would be barely visible in 10.5cm given top quality skies and moderate magnification. I didn't find it hard at all in 25cm and here's my note from Bargo in 1996:

x86 34' TF. x171 17' TF. Not a particularly difficult object. Found in a field of nearly innumerable *s, 2 deg S of Gamma Centauri. Appears as an unresolved fairly sizable milky glow perhaps 2.5' diameter. Seems to have several faint superimposition *s about mag 14. Mag 9 * to the S by 3'. Scattered mag 13-14 *s like the sands of the beach.

The V-tip magnitude (brightest AGB member stars) for Ru106 is given as 14.8 so it isn't out of the question that some of the stars I saw were actual resolved member stars

E3 is a somewhat different bucket of fish. It is a very faint object for 30cm class 'scopes and still not particularly straightforward in larger ones.

I happened to look in on both last weekend up at Mudgee. Ru106 appears partly resolved in 46cm with maybe a dozen faint stars in the mags 14.5-16 range scattered over its LSB face that appears about 2.5 arc-mins across.

E3 even under a sky with an SQM-L reading of 21.55 was a sizable faint blur approaching 3.5 across that looked a little patchy or perhaps grainy but not resolved. In 50cm it appears to have raggedy edges.

Both show little to no concentration to centre.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Les D