View Single Post
Old 26-09-2010, 10:04 AM
mjc (Mark)

I don't think it contributes to astrophotography. I'm out of my depth here BTW and I don't know if the technology is significantly (if at all) different to that presented by Adobe - but they seem to address some common themes.

The German product (from parsing their website) is good for quality control / materials inspection (one application) - when small 3D effects are considered. If I use my imagination there could be medical applications.

I can envisage that a beautiful application is microscopy where it's difficult to get focus in all regions of interest - but I am really out of my depth (no pun intended).

Why I think there is little import to the astronomical community is that using multiple micro-lenses to effectively view a field from different perspectives means you're dividing up the incoming light into multiple viewpoints/perspectives (and therefore different signals) and that surely must dilute the the signal to noise ratio.

3D effects has got to be didley squat when viewing targets that are effectively at infinity. The ability to refocus could be argued to have merit but - as I suspect (but don't know for sure) - S/N ratio will suffer.

I only posted the reference as it appears to be current technology and not something really new (assuming that the technology really is comparable).

Mark C.