View Single Post
Old 14-12-2012, 08:51 AM
avandonk
avandonk

It looks very good to me John. Those tube rings look far solider than the single leg.

I did consider them for my RH200 but with 18+lbs or 8+kg of image train i was worried about distorting the main optical tube and still have image train flexure!

I really appreciated your comment about the towel on my RH200. It will be replaced by some aluminised space age insulation blanket when I can get some.

The towel is covering six dew straps that keep the whole optic train at a constant temperature plus or minus 0.1C. of a set temperature. I am using a pulse width modulated Peltier controller that is a PID (Proportional Integral Differential). This means that focus is barely affected by ambient temperature change. In Melbourne on a clear night temperature can drop by more than 20C over the night.

You system looks very sexy naked but it would work better insulated and temperature controlled. The other advantage is I leave the heating on 24/7 so dew can never form on any of the optics.

Looking foward to what you can do with your new system. You will find the RH200 is about 2.7 times faster than an FSQ. That is a 15.55 minute exposure with the RH200 is equivalent to 42 minutes on the FSQ.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 14-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.