View Single Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:50 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi PGC,

Another excellent report.

I enjoyed the sketches -- especially 246 and 55.

If you have a UHC filter it is worth a try on NGC 55 and enhances its HII regions more clearly -- though you've captured them well in the drawing anyway. An OIII filter is not as good because it won't allow H-Beta through like the UHC does.
Hey Les, thanks for commenting Wow I never would've thought of trying that in a million years, thanks for the tip! Will be sure to put the UHC on for ngc 55 next time.

Quote:
A few other nearby galaxies are worth a try with the UHC to see if you can pick-out the HII regions. M33 in a large 'scope is one to try, as is M101 -- or so I'm told! NGC 1313 might also be worth a go (haven't tried myself yet).
NGC 300 is another large galaxy that appears to be speckled with HII regions. NGC 7793 and 7424 are filled with HII regions aswell on images but not sure how conspicious these features are at the eyepiece, ifthey are visible at all. That's something I'll have to try for myself

Quote:
NGC 7009 (Saturn Nebula) is a really lovely object in +10" 'scopes. As you've noted the ansae are best seen in good to very good seeing; though the knots at their ends are a tad easier than the connecting wisps. Without doubt, one of my favourite spring PNe in large 'scopes.

Well done again mate!

Best,

Les D
Seeing was garbage, so Im sure it'll look better in good conditions. Now if all this damn cloud would just bloody bugger off

cheers