View Single Post
Old 29-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Please check my logic in using a field flattener reducer

Hi all, I have the WO .8 field flattener reducer for my WO FLT132 scope.
I am using a full frame Nikon DSLR with it. This scope at 925mm focal length and the full frame sensor gives me a large field of view.

Using the flattener certainly improves the field flatness and makes a noticeable difference to the outer half of the image. It does however make my field of view even larger.

My thinking is this, if I am targeting an object that is large and goes close to filling my frame then I should use my field flattener reducer. I get to fit a bit more in and I get round stars to near the edge of my image. A win win.

However if I am targeting an object that is small and takes up say less than half of the frame then I am better off not using the reducer as I don't want to make the object even smaller and by cropping the image as I would for framing anyway I am getting rid of the field warping around the outer areas of the frame. So in this case by not using the flattener/reducer I am maximising the size of my subject and not suffering from field curvature in the final image anyway.

I hope I explained this clearly. Is my thinking correct on this? As a bit of a newbie I just wanted to check with some wiser heads.

thanks
Brett