View Single Post
Old 16-02-2021, 01:20 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
According to the PDF manual for the ASI6200 (section 5.8), it supports hardware bin for bin2 and bin3 (software for bin2, bin3 and bin4).

I'd presume the QHY600 would be similar?
Oh OK.. The sensor is the same in the ASI and QHY except the QHY photographic version uses the industrial grade sensor whereas the ASI uses a lesser consumer grade sensor.

I see there is some reference to binning here on the QHY website but its not done the same way as CCDs to its detriment. I am under the understanding that 2x2 binning does not raise the signal to noise ratio much at all compared to CCD where it does. It does increase the full well depth though.
FAQs
1. Does QHY600 support hardware binning?
The CMOS sensor itself has some binning function but it should not be the hardware binning (FD binning). And also the binning in the sensor is based on the location of the bayer color . it means it will binning with the same position of the same color.And for monochrom QHY600 sensor, it is still use such a position to do binning. So we think it is not a good solution for the monochrom binning.
And since the very low readout noise of the QHY600, so the digital binning may bring more advantage. First , it can increase the fullwell. Binning at 2*2 will gives four times of the fullwell. Second, it will increase the AD sample depth. Binning at 2*2 will give 18bit data range. For readout noise, the N*N digital binning will cause the readout noise become SQR(N*N)= N times. For example, if the readout noise is 1.9e at 1*1 binning. The 2*2 digital binning readout noise will become 1.9*SQR(2*2)=3.8e.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 16-02-2021 at 02:32 PM.