View Single Post
Old 25-12-2023, 10:26 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorae View Post
You are doing really well convincing me, but I just wanted to get clarification again on your thoughts on the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm F4 D lens or something like the Nikon AF Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 ED IF?

It is one stop of light difference, which for deep space could be better, and it does have a drop-in filter option, with would be good for H-a. The weight difference is the f4 is 1.5kg and the f2.8 is 2.5kg, but the latter still possible to fit within the parameters of the 5kg payload (which increases with counterweights) and the Z7ii, which is light.

Also, do you have any examples of DS objects taken with the 300mm?

Thanks again
I have both the 300s you mention but not yet tried them for astro, as I'm setting them up for a lighter weight Star Adverturer GTI mount for which I'm modifying a tripod. There are a few examples of some very intense/highly populated star fields on Astrobin which should give you an example or two.

Even though I have the 300mm f/2.8 as well as the f/4, I much prefer the ease of use/weight offered by the 300mm f/4 AF-S, especially since I was considering using two of the 300mm f/4 lenses tracked on one light weight mount. One day I'll test all my lenses against each other and rationlise my hoard.

Best
JA

PS: Yes the 300mm 2.8 AF also has a 39mm filter slot that you can modify for astro use. I bought some extra nikon 39mm filters for this use and have de-glassed a couple to fit alternative astro type filters, but some machining/fettling is required. I had some images somewhere where i was going to write a thread on it. If I find them I may do that.