View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
gregbradley

I get a small amount of flexure with my FLI CFW4/5. My CDK17 is a bit forgiving so it does not seem to cause a problem but I can make the camera flex 2mm or more by hand from the front cover of the filter wheel.

The Apogee FW50 7 position filter wheel is probably the best filter wheel I have had. Very strong, very fast, very repeatable. The only issue with that one (they have since fixed it) was cutouts in the carousel that could let dust shift around making flats not match lights in some cases.

FLI make great cameras, not so sure about their older filter wheels. A bit overpriced and too lightly built especially considering how fat a Proline is at a heavy 9lbs. The Apogee FW50 is way cheaper and way stronger built. The FLI filter wheel front cover metal looks to be about 1.2mm thick when it should be 2.5mm thick or more with machined rigidity channels in the back of it. Really not a good piece of engineering given the Proline is sooo heavy.

I swap out my filters sometimes Bert as I only have 5 slots. Its a pain but then again I only do narrowband when the moon is up and LRGB is out of the question. You'd be better off with their new centreline unit assuming it is strong enough. The reviews seem to be very positive.

If SBIGs new guide chip filter wheels are compatible with other cameras it would be an awesome setup. But usually SBIG accessories only work with SBIG cameras. Anyone know?

Greg.