View Single Post
Old 23-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

FWIW, the learning curve going from OSC to mono is the same regardless of sensor size or cost. The larger sensor just means more cost, and possibly more grief dealing with spacing or tilt issues that would be less noticeable at a smaller imaging diameter.

Just to clear a few things up (and just my opinion)...

For sensors where there is both a mono and OSC version available, the mono version is not more sensitive...they’re both the same, it’s just that the OSC permanently has a colour filter over the pixels. In practice, the mono sensor does too, since you need to use some kind of filter to produce a meaningful image.

There’s not a lot of direct interaction with the filters themselves...you tell the software when to change and it does it. Job done, in seconds.

ZWO’s microlensing is specific to the 1600 only...and it affects all cameras from other brands using the same Panasonic sensor. This has been found to be caused by a sheet of glass covering the sensor that isn’t anti-reflective coated at manufacture. In practice, it only becomes an issue if you like taking long exposures of bright stars. Personally, the only shot I’ve taken where it has been noticeable was of the Horsehead Nebula, with Alnitak making its presence known.

Regarding worries...personally I’ve not experienced any of these issues. I’ve had my newt dew up on me several times on what seems like the perfect night. If it’s not one thing, it can easily be another